Carousel Watergardens Farm market day in Columbus this Saturday March 16, 2019, from 10am-1pm at the Glenwood United Methodist Church parking lot at 2833 Valleyview Dr, Columbus, OH 43204. The church is located at the corner of Hague & Valleyview Drive. Pick up the ingredients for these wonderful recipes and shop for your farm fresh products in our heated big grey farm market trailer.
We will have our seasonal winter vegetables such as onions, cabbage, carrots, sweet potatoes, broccoli, cauliflower, Brussel sprouts, red, purple & fingerling potatoes, acorn squash, butternut, kabocha, hooli and spaghetti squash. Lots of our farm fresh CSA eggs, ground beef, pork & pork sausage. Pick up some of our lady finger popcorn, herb dips, rubs & seasonings, wonderful jams & jellies, honey, honey comb and maple syrup. Nestle indoors and make a pot of some of our delicious soup mixes. Try our fresh ground oat & wheat flour. Check out the selection of “Reflections by CAR” stationary depicting scenic, rural, farm, nature and animals scenes. We look forward to seeing you this Saturday and please spread the word and share with all your friends & family. Be sure to like us on Facebook.
Two Great Recipes
Maple Glazed Acorn Squash
An easy to fix recipe and great served along side pork chops.
- Prep: 10 min. Bake: 55 min. Makes 2 servings
- 1 medium Carousel Watergardens Farm acorn squash, halved
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup Carousel Watergardens Farm pure maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoon melted butter
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350°. Scoop out and discard seeds from squash. Place cut side down in a 13×9-in. baking dish; add water. Bake, uncovered, for 45 minutes.
- If necessary, drain water from pan; turn squash cut side up. Combine syrup, melted butter, brown sugar, cinnamon, ginger and salt; pour into squash halves. Bake, uncovered, 10 minutes or until glaze is heated through.
Maple Roasted Chicken & Acorn Squash
This is a wonderful flavorful dish and so easy to make. It can be made in the crockpot too, directions for crockpot recipe are in the “note” at bottom.
- Prep: 15 min. Bake: 35 min. · Makes 6 servings
- 1 medium Carousel Watergardens Farm acorn squash
- 4 medium Carousel Watergardens Farm carrots, chopped (about 2 cups)
- 1 medium Carousel Watergardens Farm onion, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 6 bone-in chicken thighs or breast (about 2-1/4 pounds)
- 1/2 cup Carousel Watergardens Farm Pure Maple Syrup
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- A clove of Carousel Watergardens Farm garlic diced up
- Preheat oven to 450°. Cut squash lengthwise in half; remove and discard seeds. Cut each half crosswise into 1/2-in. slices; discard ends. Place squash, carrots and onion in a greased 13×9-in. baking pan; top with chicken, skin side down. Roast 10 minutes.
- Turn chicken over; drizzle with maple syrup and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Roast 25-30 minutes longer or until a thermometer inserted in chicken reads 170°-175° and vegetables are tender.
Note: I often times make this in the crock-pot so it cooks while we are working in the fields all day then supper will be waiting when we come in at night. In this case I use boneless skinless chicken breasts; I then place all ingredients in the crock-pot and turn on low to cook all day. I place my chicken on the bottom and surround it with the vegetables. I will check it mid-day and if it needs more moisture I’ll add a ¼ cup of water if necessary and if the chicken needs pulled to the top I will do that and continue cooking on low.
You can add other vegetables too if desired such as broccoli, celery, potatoes and a medley of different squashes such as kabocha, butternut, hooli, butter cup, delicata etc.