Broccoli Mandarin Cashew Salad
One of our favorite anytime salads, but especially enjoyed in the summer when we can add our CWFFarm fresh vine ripened grape/cherry tomatoes.
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tsp cornstarch
- 1 tsp dry mustard
- 1/4 cup white wine vinegar* (See substitute below.)
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup real mayonnaise
- 4 cups Carousel Watergardens Farm broccoli, cut in bite size florets
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 8 slices cooked and chopped bacon
- 1 cup cashew pieces (optional)
- 1 can mandarin oranges, drained
- 1/2 CWFFarm red onion, chopped
- 1 cup grated mozzarella cheese (optional) but tastes good in the salad.
Make the dressing first:
- In a saucepan, whisk eggs, sugar, cornstarch and mustard.
- Add vinegar and water and cook slowly until thickened.
- Remove from heat and stir in mayonnaise. Cool slightly.
Making the salad:
- Mix broccoli, raisins, bacon, cashews, mandarin oranges, red onion, and mozzarella cheese together in large bowl.
- Pour dressing over all and toss to mix. Refrigerate for a few hours, to marinate before serving.
*Substitute: If you don’t have white wine vinegar, you can use white balsamic vinegar. Or you can use regular white vinegar just dilute with ½ teaspoon of water, and add ¼ – 1/2 teaspoon of sugar.
Note: in the summer time when grape tomatoes are in season add 1 cup of grape or cherry tomatoes cut in half to the salad for more color and flavor.